The NIST 800-171 Requirement states:
- 3.9 PERSONNEL SECURITY Basic Security Requirements:
- 3.9.1 Screen individuals prior to authorizing access to organizational systems containing CUI.
This applies to all faculty staff and students working on projects that have the DFARS requirement, and to all IT personnel supporting them. If you are a unit that has several projects identified, having your entire IT team screened is advised. Full time employees hired from 2008 onward will have already been screened, and there is no renewal required. If you were hired in late 2007 early 2008 check with your HR representative to see if there is a screening on file.
Here are the steps that need to be followed to have the screenings done:
- The P.I. or delegate should contact their unit HR support person.
- If the P.I. or delegate does not know who that person is, they should defer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The background screening form will need to be filled out by the unit’s HR Support person, then submitted (by the HR person) to email@example.com.
- The current requirement is a Standard Background Check.
Note: Be sure to download this document first, then fill it out.
- Someone from Talent Acquisition (screening group) will be in touch directly with the individual that needs the screening, providing them with a link to start the process.